Discrete variable methods for a boundary value problem with engineering applications
Abstract: In this paper we develop numerical techniques of order 2, 4 and 6 for the solution of a fourth order linear equation. A priori error bound is obtained for the fourth order method to prove the convergence of the finite difference scheme. A sufficient condition guaranteeing the uniqueness of the solution of the boundary value problem is also given. Numerical illustrations are tabulated and results compared with the classical Runge-Kutta method.
-  Ivo Babuška, Milan Práger, and Emil Vitásek, Numerical processes in differential equations, In cooperation with R. Radok. Translated from the Czech by Milada Boruvková, Státní Nakladatelství Technické Literatury, Prague; Interscience Publishers John Wiley & Sons, London-New York-Sydney, 1966. MR 0223101
-  L. Fox, The numerical solution of two-point boundary problems in ordinary differential equations, Oxford University Press, New York, 1957. MR 0102178
-  Carl-Erik Fröberg, Introduction to numerical analysis, Second edition, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading, Mass.-London-Don Mills, Ont., 1969. MR 0245168
-  Peter Henrici, Discrete variable methods in ordinary differential equations, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York-London, 1962. MR 0135729
-  W. D. Hoskins and P. J. Ponzo, Some properties of a class of band matrices, Math. Comp. 26 (1972), 393–400. MR 0303703, 10.1090/S0025-5718-1972-0303703-3
-  Mathematical methods for digital computers, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York-London, 1960. MR 0117906
-  E. L. REISS, A. J. CALLEGARI & D. S. AHLUWALIA, Ordinary Differential Equations with Applications, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, 1976.
-  Riaz A. Usmani and Dereck S. Meek, On the application of a five-band matrix in the numerical solution of a boundary value problem, Utilitas Math. 14 (1978), 21–29. MR 511511
- I. BABUSKA, M. PRAGER & E. VITASEK, Numerical Processes in Differential Equations, Wiley (Interscience), New York, 1966. MR 0223101 (36:6150)
- L. FOX, The Numerical Solution of Two-Point Boundary Value Problems in Ordinary Differential Equations, Oxford Univ. Press, London and New York, 1957. MR 0102178 (21:972)
- CARL-ERIK FRÖBERG, Introduction to Numerical Analysis, 2nd ed., Addison-Wesley, New York, 1969. MR 0245168 (39:6480)
- P. HENRICI, Discrete Variable Methods in Ordinary Differential Equations, Wiley, New York, 1962. MR 0135729 (24:B1772)
- W. D. HOSKINS & P. J. PONZO, "Some properties of a class of band matrices," Math. Comp., v. 26, 1972, pp. 393-400. MR 0303703 (46:2839)
- W. RALSTON, Mathematical Methods for Digital Computers, Wiley, New York, 1960. MR 0117906 (22:8680)
- E. L. REISS, A. J. CALLEGARI & D. S. AHLUWALIA, Ordinary Differential Equations with Applications, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, 1976.
- R. A. USMANI & D. S. MEEK, "On the application of a five-band matrix in the numerical solution of a boundary value problem," Utilitas Math. (To appear.) MR 511511 (80a:65179)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation with MSC: 65L10
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 65L10