Relative distance--an error measure in round-off error analysis
Abstract: Olver (SIAM J. Numer. Anal., v. 15, 1978, pp. 368-393) suggested relative precision as an attractive substitute for relative error in round-off error analysis. He remarked that in certain respects the error measure , , is even more favorable, through it seems to be inferior because of two drawbacks which are not shared by relative precision: (i) the inequality is not true for . (ii) is not defined for complex . In this paper the definition of is replaced by . This definition is equivalent to the first in case , , and is free of (ii). The inequality is replaced by the more universally valid inequality . The favorable properties of are preserved in the complex case. Moreover, its definition may be generalized to linear normed spaces by . Its properties in such spaces raise the possibility that with further investigation it might become the basis for error analysis in some vector, matrix, and function spaces.
-  Vijay B. Aggarwal and James W. Burgmeier, A round-off error model with applications to arithmetic expressions, SIAM J. Comput. 8 (1979), no. 1, 60–72. MR 522970, https://doi.org/10.1137/0208005
-  A. N. Kolmogorov & S. C. Fomin, Elements of the Theory of Functions and Functional Analysis, Graylock Press, Rochester, New York, 1957.
-  F. W. J. Olver, A new approach to error arithmetic, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 15 (1978), no. 2, 368–393. MR 0483379, https://doi.org/10.1137/0715024
-  Pat H. Sterbenz, Floating-point computation, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1974. Prentice-Hall Series in Automatic Computation. MR 0349062
-  G. W. Stewart, Introduction to matrix computations, Academic Press [A subsidiary of Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers], New York-London, 1973. Computer Science and Applied Mathematics. MR 0458818
-  J. H. Wilkinson, Rounding errors in algebraic processes, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1963. MR 0161456
- Vijay B. Aggarwal & James W. Burgmeier, "A roundoff error model with applications to arithmetic expressions," SIAM J. Comput., v. 8, 1979, pp. 60-72. MR 522970 (81b:68031)
- A. N. Kolmogorov & S. C. Fomin, Elements of the Theory of Functions and Functional Analysis, Graylock Press, Rochester, New York, 1957.
- F. W. J. Olver, "A new approach to error arithmetic," SIAM J. Numer. Anal., v. 15, 1978, pp. 368-393. MR 0483379 (58:3385)
- Pat H. Sterbenz, Floating Point Computation, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J., 1974. MR 0349062 (50:1556)
- G. W. Stewart, Introduction to Matrix Computations, Academic Press, New York and London, 1973. MR 0458818 (56:17018)
- J. H. Wilkinson, Rounding Errors in Algebraic Processes, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N. J., 1963. MR 0161456 (28:4661)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation with MSC: 65G05
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 65G05
Keywords: Relative error, round-off error analysis, metric
Article copyright: © Copyright 1982 American Mathematical Society