Computing the irreducible characters of the group
Author: M. R. Darafsheh
Journal: Math. Comp. 46 (1986), 301-319
MSC: Primary 20C15; Secondary 20C30
MathSciNet review: 815851
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: All the sixty ordinary irreducible characters of the group of six by six nonsingular matrices over a field with two elements are found. To do this we use methods of Steinberg and also characters induced from certain subgroups which makes it possible to calculate the whole character table by hand.
-  Richard Brauer, On groups whose order contains a prime number to the first power. I, Amer. J. Math. 64 (1942), 401–420. MR 0006537, https://doi.org/10.2307/2371693
-  Leonard Eugene Dickson, Linear groups: With an exposition of the Galois field theory, with an introduction by W. Magnus, Dover Publications, Inc., New York, 1958. MR 0104735
-  I. Martin Isaacs, Character theory of finite groups, Academic Press [Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers], New York-London, 1976. Pure and Applied Mathematics, No. 69. MR 0460423
-  D. E. Littlewood, The Theory of Group Characters, Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, 1958.
-  Robert Steinberg, The representations of 𝐺𝐿(3,𝑞),𝐺𝐿(4,𝑞),𝑃𝐺𝐿(3,𝑞), and 𝑃𝐺𝐿(4,𝑞), Canadian J. Math. 3 (1951), 225–235. MR 0041851
-  R. Steinberg, A geometric approach to the representations of the full linear group over a Galois field, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 71 (1951), 274–282. MR 0043784, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1951-0043784-0
- R. Brauer, "On groups whose order contains a prime number to the first power. I," Amer. J. Math., v. 64, 1942, pp. 401-420. MR 0006537 (4:1e)
- L. E. Dickson, Linear Groups With an Exposition of the Galois Field Theory, Dover, New York, 1958. MR 0104735 (21:3488)
- I. Martin Isaacs, Character Theory of Finite Groups, Academic Press, New York, 1976. MR 0460423 (57:417)
- D. E. Littlewood, The Theory of Group Characters, Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, 1958.
- R. Steinberg, "The representations of , , and ," Canad. J. Math., v. 3, 1951, pp. 225-235. MR 0041851 (13:10e)
- R. Steinberg, "A geometric approach to the representations of the full linear group over a Galois field," Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., v. 71, 1951, pp. 274-282. MR 0043784 (13:317d)