Products of prime powers in binary recurrence sequences. II. The elliptic case, with an application to a mixed quadratic-exponential equation
B. M. M. de Weger
Math. Comp. 47 (1986), 729-739
Primary 11D61; Secondary 11Y50
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: In Part I the diophantine equation was studied, where is a linear binary recurrence sequence with positive discriminant. In this second part we extend this to negative discriminants. We use the p-adic and complex Gelfond-Baker theory to find explicit upper bounds for the solutions of the equation. We give algorithms to reduce those bounds, based on diophantine approximation techniques. Thus we have a method to solve the equation completely for arbitrary values of the parameters. We give an application to a quadratic-exponential equation.
Baker and H.
Davenport, The equations 3𝑥²-2=𝑦² and
8𝑥²-7=𝑧², Quart. J. Math. Oxford Ser. (2)
20 (1969), 129–137. MR 0248079
Kiss, Zero terms in second-order linear recurrences, Math.
Sem. Notes Kobe Univ. 7 (1979), no. 1, 145–152.
K. Mahler, "Eine arithmetische Eigenschaft der rekurrierenden Reihen," Mathematika B (Leiden), v. 3, 1934, pp. 153-156.
Pethö and B.
M. M. de Weger, Products of prime powers in binary
recurrence sequences. I. The hyperbolic case, with an application to the
generalized Ramanujan-Nagell equation, Math.
Comp. 47 (1986), no. 176, 713–727. MR 856715
J. Stroeker and R.
Tijdeman, Diophantine equations, Computational methods in
number theory, Part II, Math. Centre Tracts, vol. 155, Math. Centrum,
Amsterdam, 1982, pp. 321–369. MR 702521
Waldschmidt, A lower bound for linear forms in logarithms,
Acta Arith. 37 (1980), 257–283. MR 598881
- A. Baker & H. Davenport, "The equations and ," Quart. J. Math. Oxford Ser. (2), v. 20, 1969, pp. 129-137. MR 0248079 (40:1333)
- P. Kiss, "Zero terms in second order linear recurrences," Math. Sem. Notes Kobe Univ., v. 7, 1979, pp. 145-152. MR 544926 (80j:10015)
- K. Mahler, "Eine arithmetische Eigenschaft der rekurrierenden Reihen," Mathematika B (Leiden), v. 3, 1934, pp. 153-156.
- A. Pethö & B. M. M. de Weger, "Products of prime powers in binary recurrence sequences. I," Math. Comp., v. 47, 1986, pp. 713-727. MR 856715 (87m:11027a)
- R. J. Stroeker & R. Tijdeman, "Diophantine equations," in Computational Methods in Number Theory (H. W. Lenstra, Jr. and R. Tijdeman, eds.), MC Tract 155, Amsterdam, 1982, pp. 321-369. MR 702521 (84i:10014)
- M. Waldschmidt, "A lower bound for linear forms in logarithms," Acta Arith., v. 37, 1980, pp. 257-283. MR 598881 (82h:10049)
Retrieve articles in Mathematics of Computation
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1986
American Mathematical Society