A note on Hausdorff measures of quasi-self-similar sets
Author: John McLaughlin
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 100 (1987), 183-186
MSC: Primary 54H20; Secondary 28A75, 58F12
MathSciNet review: 883425
Abstract: Sullivan has demonstrated that quasi-self-similarity provides a useful point of view for the study of expanding dynamical systems. In [4, p. 57] he posed the question: Is the Hausdorff measure of a quasi-self-similar set positive and finite in its Hausdorff dimension? This paper answers both parts of this question. In the positivity is established for compact sets, and a lower bound is given for their Hausdorff measure. However, in the finiteness is disproved. In fact, a quasi-self-similar set is constructed for which the Hausdorff measure is actually -infinite.
-  K. J. Falconer, The geometry of fractal sets, Cambridge Tracts in Mathematics, vol. 85, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1986. MR 867284
-  Herbert Federer, Geometric measure theory, Die Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften, Band 153, Springer-Verlag New York Inc., New York, 1969. MR 0257325
-  John E. Hutchinson, Fractals and self-similarity, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 30 (1981), no. 5, 713–747. MR 625600, https://doi.org/10.1512/iumj.1981.30.30055
-  D. Sullivan, Seminar on conformal and hyperbolic geometry, Lecture Notes, Inst. Hautes Études Sci., Bures-sur-Yvette, 1982.
- K. J. Falconer, The geometry of fractal sets, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1985. MR 867284 (88d:28001)
- H. Federer, Geometric measure theory, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg and New York, 1969. MR 0257325 (41:1976)
- J. E. Hutchinson, Fractals and self similarity, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 30 (1981), 713-747. MR 625600 (82h:49026)
- D. Sullivan, Seminar on conformal and hyperbolic geometry, Lecture Notes, Inst. Hautes Études Sci., Bures-sur-Yvette, 1982.