When is a unique factorization domain?
Abstract: Although the commutative polynomial ring is a unique factorization domain (UFD) and the free associative algebra is a similarity-UFD when is a (commutative) field, it is shown that the polynomial ring in two commuting indeterminates is not a UFD in any reasonable sense when is the skew field of rational quaternions.
-  P. M. Cohn, Unique factorization domains, Amer. Math. Monthly 80 (1973), 1–18. MR 0320044, https://doi.org/10.2307/2319253
-  P. M. Cohn, Free rings and their relations, 2nd ed., London Mathematical Society Monographs, vol. 19, Academic Press, Inc. [Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers], London, 1985. MR 800091
-  John B. Fraleigh, A first course in abstract algebra, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading, Mass.-London-Don Mills, Ont., 1967. MR 0225619
-  L. Rédei, Algebra. Vol 1, Translated from the Hungarian, Pergamon Press, Oxford-New York-Toronto, Ont., 1967. MR 0211820
- P. M. Cohn, Unique factorization domains, Amer. Math. Monthly 80 (1973), 1-17. MR 0320044 (47:8585)
- -, Free rings and their relations, 2nd ed., Academic Press, New York and London, 1985. MR 800091 (87e:16006)
- J. B. Fraleigh, A first course in abstract algebra, 4th ed., Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1989. MR 0225619 (37:1212)
- L. Redei, Algebra, Vol. 1, Pergamon Press, London, 1967. MR 0211820 (35:2697)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC: 16U30
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 16U30