Dynamics of typical continuous functions
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 123 (1995), 1703-1707
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: S. J. Agronsky, A. M. Bruckner, and M. Laczkovic have studied the behaviour of the sequence where f is the typical continuous function from the closed unit interval I into itself and x the typical point of I. In particular, they have proved that the typical limit set is a Cantor set of Menger-Uryson dimension zero. Using mainly the Tietze extension theorem, we have found a shorter proof of this result which applies to a more general situation. As a matter of fact, we have replaced the closed unit interval by a compact N-dimensional manifold and the Menger-Uryson dimension by the Hausdorff one. We have also proved that, for the typical continuous function f, the function is continuous at the typical point x. It follows that the typical limit set is not a fractal and that, for the typical continuous function f, the sequence is not chaotic.
J. Agronsky, A.
M. Bruckner, and M.
Laczkovich, Dynamics of typical continuous functions, J.
London Math. Soc. (2) 40 (1989), no. 2,
227–243. MR 1044271
Hurewicz and Henry
Wallman, Dimension Theory, Princeton Mathematical Series, v.
4, Princeton University Press, Princeton, N. J., 1941. MR 0006493
B. Mandelbrot, Fractals: form, chance, and dimension, Revised
edition, W. H. Freeman and Co., San Francisco, Calif., 1977. Translated
from the French. MR 0471493
C. Oxtoby, Measure and category, 2nd ed., Graduate Texts in
Mathematics, vol. 2, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1980. A survey of the
analogies between topological and measure spaces. MR 584443
Nagata, Modern general topology, Second revised edition,
North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam, 1974. Bibliotheca Mathematica,
Vol. VII. MR
0474164 (57 #13814)
- S. J. Agronsky, A. M. Bruckner, and M. Laczkovich, Dynamics of typical continuous functions, J. London Math. Soc. (3) 131 (1989), 227-243. MR 1044271 (91e:26003)
- W. Hurewicz and H. Wallman, Dimension theory, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ, 1948. MR 0006493 (3:312b)
- B. Mandelbrot, Fractals: Form, chance and dimension, Freeman, San Francisco, 1977. MR 0471493 (57:11224)
- J. C. Oxtoby, Measure and category, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1980. MR 584443 (81j:28003)
- J. Nagata, Modern general topology, North-Holland, New York, 1974. MR 0474164 (57:13814)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1995 American Mathematical Society