Paracompact subspaces in the box product topology
Peter Nyikos and Leszek Piatkiewicz
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 124 (1996), 303-314
Primary 54D18; Secondary 54B10
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: In 1975 E. K. van Douwen showed that if is a family of Hausdorff spaces such that all finite subproducts are paracompact, then for each element of the box product the -product is paracompact. He asked whether this result remains true if one considers uncountable families of spaces. In this paper we prove in particular the following result:
Let be an infinite cardinal number, and let be a family of compact Hausdorff spaces. Let be a fixed point. Given a family of open subsets of which covers , there exists an open locally finite in refinement of which covers . We also prove a slightly weaker version of this theorem for Hausdorff spaces with ``all finite subproducts are paracompact" property. As a corollary we get an affirmative answer to van Douwen's question.
K. van Douwen, The box product of countably many metrizable spaces
need not be normal, Fund. Math. 88 (1975),
no. 2, 127–132. MR 0385781
Engelking, General topology, PWN—Polish Scientific
Publishers, Warsaw, 1977. Translated from the Polish by the author;
Monografie Matematyczne, Tom 60. [Mathematical Monographs, Vol. 60]. MR 0500780
J. Knight, Box topologies, Quart. J. Math. Oxford Ser. (2)
15 (1964), 41–54. MR 0160184
L. B. Lawrence, Failure of normality in the box product of uncountably many real lines, preprint. CMP 95:04.
J. van Mill, Collected papers of Eric K. van Douwen, preprint.
Ellen Rudin, Lectures on set theoretic topology, Published for
the Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences by the American
Mathematical Society, Providence, R.I., 1975. Expository lectures from the
CBMS Regional Conference held at the University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyo.,
August 12–16, 1974; Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences
Regional Conference Series in Mathematics, No. 23. MR 0367886
S. W. Williams, Paracompact sets in box products, preprint.
- E. K. van Douwen, The box product of countably many metrizable spaces need not be normal, Fund. Math. 88 (1975), 127--132, MR 52:6640.
- R. Engelking, General topology, PWN, Warszawa, 1977, MR 58:18316b.
- C. J. Knight, Box topologies, Quart. J. Math. Oxford 15 (1964), 41--54, MR 28:3398.
- L. B. Lawrence, Failure of normality in the box product of uncountably many real lines, preprint. CMP 95:04.
- J. van Mill, Collected papers of Eric K. van Douwen, preprint.
- M. E. Rudin, Lectures on set-theoretic topology, CBMS Regional Conf. Ser. in Math., vol. 23, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 1975, MR 51:4128.
- S. W. Williams, Paracompact sets in box products, preprint.
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
with MSC (1991):
Retrieve articles in all journals
with MSC (1991):
Received by editor(s):
June 9, 1993
The first author’s research was supported in part by NSF Grant DMS-8901931.
Franklin D. Tall
© Copyright 1996 American Mathematical Society