Normal Euler classes of knotted surfaces
and triple points on projections
Authors: J. Scott Carter and Masahico Saito
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 125 (1997), 617-623
MSC (1991): Primary 57Q45
MathSciNet review: 1372025
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: We present a new formula relating the normal Euler numbers of embedded surfaces in -space and the number of triple points on their projections into -space. This formula generalizes Banchoff's formula between normal Euler numbers and branch points on the projections.
- 1. Thomas F. Banchoff, Double tangency theorems for pairs of submanifolds, Geometry Symposium, Utrecht 1980 (Utrecht, 1980) Lecture Notes in Math., vol. 894, Springer, Berlin-New York, 1981, pp. 26–48. MR 655418
- 2. J. Scott Carter and Masahico Saito, Canceling branch points on projections of surfaces in 4-space, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 116 (1992), no. 1, 229–237. MR 1126191, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-1992-1126191-0
- 3. J. Scott Carter and Masahico Saito, Reidemeister moves for surface isotopies and their interpretation as moves to movies, J. Knot Theory Ramifications 2 (1993), no. 3, 251–284. MR 1238875, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218216593000167
- 4. Carter, J. Scott, and Saito, Masahico, -dimensional projections of -manifolds in -space, preprint.
- 5. M. Golubitsky and V. Guillemin, Stable mappings and their singularities, Springer-Verlag, New York-Heidelberg, 1973. Graduate Texts in Mathematics, Vol. 14. MR 0341518
- 6. Sylvain E. Cappell and Julius L. Shaneson, An introduction to embeddings, immersions and singularities in codimension two, Algebraic and geometric topology (Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., Stanford Univ., Stanford, Calif., 1976) Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., XXXII, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R.I., 1978, pp. 129–149. MR 520529
- 7. Coghlan, Leslie, Private correspondences.
- 8. András Szűcs, Surfaces in 𝑅³, Bull. London Math. Soc. 18 (1986), no. 1, 60–66. MR 841370, https://doi.org/10.1112/blms/18.1.60
- Banchoff, T. F., Double Tangency Theorems for Pairs of Submanifolds, in Geometry Symposium Utrecht 1980 ed. Looijenga, Seirsma, and Takens, LNM v. 894, Springer-Verlag (1981), 26-48. MR 83h:53005
- Carter, J. Scott, and Saito, Masahico, Canceling Branch Points on the Projections of Knotted Surfaces in 4-space, Proc. of the AMS. 116, No 1 (Sept 1992), 229-237. MR 93i:57029
- Carter, J. Scott, and Saito, Masahico, Reidemeister Moves for Surface Isotopies and Their Interpretation as Moves to Movies, J. of Knot Theory and its Ramifications 2, 251-284. MR 94i:57007
- Carter, J. Scott, and Saito, Masahico, -dimensional projections of -manifolds in -space, preprint.
- M. Golubitsky, and V. Guillemin, Stable mappings and their singularities, Graduate texts in math. vol. 14, Springer-Verlag, 1973. MR 49:6269
- S. E. Cappel and J. L. Shaneson, An introduction to embeddings, immersions and singularities in codimension two, Proc. Sympos. Pure Math. vol. 32, AMS, Providence, RI, 1978. MR 80e:57013
- Coghlan, Leslie, Private correspondences.
- A. Szücs, Surfaces in , Bull. London Math. Soc. 18 (1986), 60-66. MR 88a:57060
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC (1991): 57Q45
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC (1991): 57Q45
J. Scott Carter
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama 36688
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33620
Keywords: Knotted surfaces, normal Euler numbers, checker-board coloring, triple points, branch points
Received by editor(s): July 27, 1995
Additional Notes: Presented at the 872nd meeting of the AMS, Tuscaloosa.
Communicated by: Ronald Stern
Article copyright: © Copyright 1997 American Mathematical Society