Mixing properties of one-dimensional
Author: Rune Kleveland
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 125 (1997), 1755-1766
MSC (1991): Primary 47A35, 22D25; Secondary 28D05, 46L05
MathSciNet review: 1363428
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: We study a class of endomorphisms on the space of bi-infinite sequences over a finite set, and show that such a map is onto if and only if it is measure-preserving. A class of dynamical systems arising from these endomorphisms are strongly mixing, and some of them even -mixing. Some of these are isomorphic to the one-sided shift on in both the topological and measure-theoretical sense. Such dynamical systems can be associated to , the Cuntz-algebra of order , in a natural way.
- [Br-Jø-Pr] Ola Bratteli, Palle E.T. Jørgensen and Geoffrey L. Price. Endomorphisms of . Proc. Symp. Pure Math. Am. math. soc. 1995. (ed. I.E. Segal.) To appear.
- [Cuntz] Joachim Cuntz, Simple 𝐶*-algebras generated by isometries, Comm. Math. Phys. 57 (1977), no. 2, 173–185. MR 0467330
- [Hed] G. A. Hedlund, Endomorphisms and automorphisms of the shift dynamical system, Math. Systems Theory 3 (1969), 320–375. MR 0259881, https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01691062
- [Mat] Kengo Matsumoto, 𝐶*-algebras associated with cellular automata, Math. Scand. 75 (1994), no. 2, 195–216. MR 1319731, https://doi.org/10.7146/math.scand.a-12515
- [Sh-Ro] M. Shirvani and T. D. Rogers, On ergodic one-dimensional cellular automata, Comm. Math. Phys. 136 (1991), no. 3, 599–605. MR 1099698
- [Wal] Peter Walters, An introduction to ergodic theory, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 79, Springer-Verlag, New York-Berlin, 1982. MR 648108
- Ola Bratteli, Palle E.T. Jørgensen and Geoffrey L. Price. Endomorphisms of . Proc. Symp. Pure Math. Am. math. soc. 1995. (ed. I.E. Segal.) To appear.
- Joachim Cuntz, Simple -algebras generated by isometries. Commun. Math. Phys. 57, 173-185 (1977). MR 57:7189
- G.A. Hedlund. Endomorphisms and automorphisms of the shift dynamical system. Math. Syst. theory 3, 320-375 (1970). MR 41:4510
- Kengo Matsumoto. -algebras associated width dynamical systems. Math. Scand. 75, 195-216 (1994). MR 96a:46120
- M. Shirvani and T.D. Rogers. On ergodic one-Dimensional Cellular Automata, Commun. Math. Phys. 136, 599-605 (1991). MR 92j:58057
- Peter Walters. An introduction to ergodic theory. Springer (1982). MR 84e:28017
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, University of Oslo, Box 1053, 0316 Oslo, Norway
Received by editor(s): October 23, 1995
Received by editor(s) in revised form: December 13, 1995
Communicated by: Palle E. Jørgensen
Article copyright: © Copyright 1997 American Mathematical Society