Distinguishing embedded curves
in rational complex surfaces
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 126 (1998), 305-310
Primary 57R40; Secondary 14J26
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: We construct many pairs of smoothly embedded complex curves with the same genus and self-intersection number in the rational complex surfaces with the property that no self-diffeomorphism of sends one to the other. In particular, as a special case we answer a question originally posed by R. Gompf (1995) concerning genus two curves of self-intersection number 0 in .
Akbulut and Robion
Kirby, Branched covers of surfaces in 4-manifolds, Math. Ann.
252 (1979/80), no. 2, 111–131. MR 593626
E. Gompf, A new construction of symplectic manifolds, Ann. of
Math. (2) 142 (1995), no. 3, 527–595. MR 1356781
Griffiths and Joseph
Harris, Principles of algebraic geometry, Wiley-Interscience
[John Wiley & Sons], New York, 1978. Pure and Applied Mathematics. MR 507725
B. Kronheimer and T.
S. Mrowka, Gauge theory for embedded surfaces. II, Topology
34 (1995), no. 1, 37–97. MR 1308489
Persson, Chern invariants of surfaces of general type,
Compositio Math. 43 (1981), no. 1, 3–58. MR 631426
R. Stern, personal communication.
Witten, Monopoles and four-manifolds, Math. Res. Lett.
1 (1994), no. 6, 769–796. MR 1306021
- S. Akbulut and R. Kirby, Branched covers of surfaces in -manifolds, Math. Ann. 252 (1980), 111-131. MR 82j:57001
- R. Gompf, A new construction of symplectic manifolds, Ann. of Math 142 (1995), 527-595. MR 96j:57025
- P. Griffiths and J. Harris, Principles of algebraic geometry, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New York, 1978. MR 80b:14001
- P. Kronheimer and T. Mrowka, Gauge theory for embedded surfaces, II, Topology 34 (1995), 37-97. MR 96b:57038
- U. Persson, Chern invariants of surfaces of general type, Compos. Math. 43 (1981), 3-58. MR 83b:14012
- R. Stern, personal communication.
- E. Witten, Monopoles and four-manifolds, Math. Res. Letters 1 (1995), 769-796. MR 96d:57035
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
with MSC (1991):
Retrieve articles in all journals
with MSC (1991):
Department of Mathematics, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712
Address at time of publication:
Department of Mathematics, University of California, Irvine, California 92717
Rational complex surface,
Received by editor(s):
April 22, 1996
Received by editor(s) in revised form:
July 9, 1996
Ronald A. Fintushel
© Copyright 1998
American Mathematical Society