Dual decompositions of 4-manifolds II: Linear invariants
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 358 (2006), 2161-2181
Primary 57R65, 57M25
May 26, 2005
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: This paper continues the study of decompositions of a smooth 4-manifold into two handlebodies with handles of index . Part I (Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 354 (2002), 1373-1392) gave existence results in terms of spines and chain complexes over the fundamental group of the ambient manifold. Here we assume that one side of a decomposition has larger fundamental group, and use this to define algebraic-topological invariants. These reveal a basic asymmetry in these decompositions: subtle changes on one side can force algebraic-topologically detectable changes on the other. A solvable iteration of the basic invariant gives an ``obstruction theory'' using lower commutator quotients. By thinking of a 2-handlebody as essentially determined by the links used as attaching maps for its 2-handles, this theory can be thought of as giving ``ambient'' link invariants. The moves used are related to the grope cobordism of links developed by Conant-Teichner, and the Cochran-Orr-Teichner filtration of the link concordance groups. The invariants give algebraically sophisticated ``finite type'' invariants in the sense of Vassilaev.
D. Cochran and Paul
Melvin, Finite type invariants of 3-manifolds, Invent. Math.
140 (2000), no. 1, 45–100. MR 1779798
D. Cochran, Kent
E. Orr, and Peter
Teichner, Knot concordance, Whitney towers and
𝐿²-signatures, Ann. of Math. (2) 157
(2003), no. 2, 433–519. MR 1973052
Conant and Peter
Teichner, Grope cobordism of classical knots, Topology
43 (2004), no. 1, 119–156. MR 2030589
H. Freedman and Frank
Quinn, Topology of 4-manifolds, Princeton Mathematical Series,
vol. 39, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1990. MR 1201584
Quinn, Dual decompositions of
4-manifolds, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc.
354 (2002), no. 4,
1373–1392 (electronic). MR 1873010
Andrew Ranicki, Noncommutative localization in topology (to appear).
- Tim Cochran and Paul Melvin, Finite type invariants of 3-manifolds, math.GT/9805026, Invent. Math. 140 (2000), 45-100. MR 1779798 (2002a:57015)
- Tim Cochran, Kent Orr, and Peter Teichner, Knot concordance, Whitney towers, and signatures, math.GT/9908117, Ann. of Math. 157 (2003), 433-519. MR 1973052 (2004i:57003)
- James Conant and Peter Teichner, Grope cobordism of classical knots, Topology 43 (2004), 119-156. MR 2030589 (2004k:57006)
- Michael Freedman and Frank Quinn, Topology of 4-manifolds, Princeton University Press, 1990.MR 1201584 (94b:57021)
- Frank Quinn, Dual decompositions of 4-manifolds, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 354 (2002), 1373-1392.MR 1873010 (2002k:57080)
- Andrew Ranicki, Noncommutative localization in topology (to appear).
Retrieve articles in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society
with MSC (2000):
Retrieve articles in all journals
with MSC (2000):
Department of Mathematics, Virginia Polytechnical Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virgina 24061-0123
Received by editor(s):
December 10, 2001
Received by editor(s) in revised form:
May 11, 2004
May 26, 2005
This work was partially supported by the National Science Foundation
© Copyright 2005
American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.