Quadratic maps and Bockstein closed group extensions
Jonathan Pakianathan and Ergün Yalçin
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 359 (2007), 6079-6110
Primary 20J05; Secondary 17B50, 15A63
May 7, 2007
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: Let be a central extension of the form where and are elementary abelian -groups. Associated to there is a quadratic map , given by the -power map, which uniquely determines the extension. This quadratic map also determines the extension class of the extension in and an ideal in which is generated by the components of . We say that is Bockstein closed if is an ideal closed under the Bockstein operator.
We find a direct condition on the quadratic map that characterizes when the extension is Bockstein closed. Using this characterization, we show for example that quadratic maps induced from the fundamental quadratic map given by yield Bockstein closed extensions.
On the other hand, it is well known that an extension is Bockstein closed if and only if it lifts to an extension for some -lattice . In this situation, one may write for a ``binding matrix'' with entries in . We find a direct way to calculate the module structure of in terms of . Using this, we study extensions where the lattice is diagonalizable/triangulable and find interesting equivalent conditions to these properties.
Browder and Jonathan
Pakianathan, Cohomology of uniformly powerful
𝑝-groups, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc.
352 (2000), no. 6,
2659–2688. MR 1661313
S. Brown, Cohomology of groups, Graduate Texts in Mathematics,
vol. 87, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1994. Corrected reprint of the
1982 original. MR 1324339
Jacobson, Lie algebras, Interscience Tracts in Pure and
Applied Mathematics, No. 10, Interscience Publishers (a division of John
Wiley & Sons), New York-London, 1962. MR 0143793
Anh Minh and Peter
Symonds, The cohomology of pro-𝑝 groups with a powerfully
embedded subgroup, J. Pure Appl. Algebra 189 (2004),
no. 1-3, 221–246. MR 2038572
Quillen, The 𝑚𝑜𝑑 2 cohomology rings of
extra-special 2-groups and the spinor groups, Math. Ann.
194 (1971), 197–212. MR 0290401
J. Rusin, The 2-groups of rank 2, J. Algebra
149 (1992), no. 1, 1–31. MR 1165197
Serre, Sur la dimension cohomologique des groupes profinis,
Topology 3 (1965), 413–420 (French). MR 0180619
- W. Browder and J. Pakianathan, Cohomology of uniformly powerful -groups, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 352 (2000), 2659-2688. MR 1661313 (2000j:20099)
- K. Brown, Cohomology of Groups, Graduate Texts in Mathematics 87, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1994. MR 1324339 (96a:20072)
- N. Jacobson, Lie Algebras, Dover, New York, 1962. MR 0143793 (26:1345)
- P. A. Minh and P. Symonds, The cohomology of pro- groups with a powerfully embedded subgroup, J. Pure Appl. Algebra, 189 (2004), 221-246. MR 2038572 (2004k:20113)
- D. Quillen, The Mod Cohomology Rings of Extra-Special -Groups and the Spinor Groups, Math. Ann. 194 (1971), 197-212. MR 0290401 (44:7582)
- D. Rusin, The -groups of rank , J. Algebra 149 (1992), 1-31. MR 1165197 (93d:20042)
- J. P. Serre, Sur la Dimension Cohomologique des Groupes Profinis, Topology 3 (1965), 413-420. MR 0180619 (31:4853)
Retrieve articles in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society
with MSC (2000):
Retrieve articles in all journals
with MSC (2000):
Department of Mathematics, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14627
Department of Mathematics, Bilkent University, Ankara, 06800, Turkey
restricted Lie algebras.
Received by editor(s):
December 2, 2005
May 7, 2007
The second author was partially supported by a grant from the Turkish Academy of Sciences (TÜBA-GEBİP/2005-16).
© Copyright 2007
American Mathematical Society