Award for Distinguished Public Service Selection Committee
- Committee is standing
- Number of members is five
- Term is four years
The Committee recommends a winner and communicates this recommendation to the Secretary for approval by the Executive Committee of the Council. The Committee nominates a recipient for an “Award for Distinguished Public Service” every two years to a research mathematician who has made recent or sustained distinguished contributions to the mathematics profession through public service. The award will be presented every two years during the Joint Mathematics Meeting. The award is in the amount of \$4,000.
Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
(as adopted by the April 2019 Council)
The American Mathematical Society is committed to promoting and facilitating equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the mathematical sciences. For its own long-term prosperity as well as that of the public at large, our discipline must connect with and appropriately incorporate all sectors of society. We reaffirm the pledge in the AMS Mission Statement to "advance the status of the profession of mathematics, encouraging and facilitating full participation of all individuals," and urge all members to conduct their professional activities with this goal in mind.
The business of this committee can be done by email or videoconference.
Note to the Chair
For the purpose of archiving the committee activities, the Secretary maintains a central file system for archiving committee records. Committee Chairs are asked to submit committee records on yearly basis. Chairs can submit material at their discretion, and some materials that they may wish to provide are meeting minutes, agenda, and emails. Confidential material should be noted, so that it can be handled in a confidential manner.
- August 3, 2004 Council Minutes, Item 4.7.2; see also May 1989 ECBT Minutes. Council established award.
- April 3, 2004, Item 3.2. Council approved revised charge to reflect current practice: public service citations are no longer being awarded and the award is not presented during the AMS Business Meeting.
- Updated 3/94; 8/94; 5/95; 11/01; 8/09;07/13; membership; edited Note to the Chair; removed mention of attachment; added note to second paragraph concerning citations; 01/17 updated Principal activities to reflect 4/04 Council action (was never recorded), edited Note to the Chair.; 7/22
- 09 January 2018, Item 4.6.7 Changed the term length, removed a five-year restriction on when the service occurred, and updated the approval process to reflect current practice.
- 24 April 2021 Council, Item 6.8 Added the Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
A list of current and past members is available at:
Citation for Public Service
(discontinued until further notice)