Editorial Boards Committee
- Committee is standing. This is a committee of the Council
- Number of members is eight, six elected and two ex officio.
- Two members are elected each year in a contested election, each serving a three-year term.
- Candidates for the elected positions shall be nominated by the President
- The Secretary and Publisher are ex officio non-voting members
The committee shall recommend appointees to certain editorial committees to the AMS President and the Council. To that end, it shall solicit suggestions for those editorial committees by consulting with managing editors, current editorial committees, and other interested parties. The committee should take into account both the interests of the publications and the overall interests of the Society. The AMS strives for diversity in gender, race, geography, area of mathematics, and type of institution, for both its membership and its leadership. The Editorial Boards Committee is expected to keep diversity of all kinds in mind when selecting candidates. The Editorial Boards Committee shall monitor the function of the editors, alerting appropriate bodies (for example, the Committee on Publications, Council, officers, or staff) about existing or potential problems and concerns.
The committee shall recommend members for the following editorial committees and submit its recommendations for approval:
Journal Editorial Committees
- Communications of the AMS
- Journal of the AMS
- Mathematics of Computation
- Proceedings of the AMS
- Transactions of the AMS
- Electronic Journal of Representation Theory
- Electronic Journal on Conformal Geometry and Dynamics Collected Works
Book Editorial Committees
- Contemporary Mathematics
- Graduate Studies in Mathematics
- History of Mathematics
- Mathematical Reviews
- Mathematical Surveys and Monographs
- Proceedings of Symposia in Applied Mathematics
- Pure and Applied Undergraduate Texts
- Student Mathematical Library
- Translations of Mathematical Monographs
- University Lecture Series
All recommendations for these editorial committees go to the President for approval except for the following, which go to the Council:
- Managing Editors (Co-Chief Editors) of Communications of the AMS
- Managing editor of Journal of the AMS
- Managing editor of Mathematics of Computation
- Managing editor of Proceedings of the AMS
- Managing editor of Transactions of the AMS
- Chair of Colloquium
- Chair of Mathematical Surveys and Monographs
- Chair of Mathematical Reviews
Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
(as adopted by the April 2019 Council)
The American Mathematical Society is committed to promoting and facilitating equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the mathematical sciences. For its own long-term prosperity as well as that of the public at large, our discipline must connect with and appropriately incorporate all sectors of society. We reaffirm the pledge in the AMS Mission Statement to "advance the status of the profession of mathematics, encouraging and facilitating full participation of all individuals," and urge all members to conduct their professional activities with this goal in mind.
The Chair is elected by the EBC from among its second-year members. The Chair of EBC appoints a representative to the Committee on Publications.
The members of the Editorial Boards Committee should receive subscriptions to such journals of the named editorial committees as they wish.
This committee has been designated at LEVEL B.
Note to the Chair
For the purpose of archiving the committee activities, the Secretary maintains a central file system for archiving committee records. Committee Chairs are asked to submit committee records on yearly basis. Chairs can submit material at their discretion, and some materials that they may wish to provide are meeting minutes, agenda, and emails. Confidential material should be noted, so that it can be handled in a confidential manner.
- created: 1/89. updated 8/90; 1/91; 8/91;9/92; 8/94; 1/95; 1/96; 1/99; 4/01;1/05;1/06;8/09; 12/13 Misc Info, Note, membership; 7/22.
- 24 April 2021 Council Meeting, Item 6.8-Replaced the 1972 Council directive regarding equal opportunities for women with the AMS Statement on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- 04 January 2022 Council Meeting, Item 6.4-Diversity statement added.
A list of current and past members is available here: