AMS-MAA Joint Archives Committee
(Dissolved April 2022)
- Committee is standing
- Number of members is six, three appointed by AMS and three appointed by MAA
- Term of office is three years, one member each appointed by each organization each year.
Members on the AMS Archives Committee serve as the AMS representatives on the Joint Archives Committee for concurrent terms.
The committee has a three-fold purpose:
- To stimulate the preservation of the papers of mathematicians and mathematical institutions, as well as other papers of interest, at appropriate archives locally or nationally.
- To serve as a contact between archivists and mathematicians (or their survivors) in evaluating materials proposed for deposition.
- To serve as liaison among the AMS, the MAA and their designated archivists at Brown University and the University of Texas at Austin, respectively.
The committee traditionally meets During the Joint Mathematics Meetings. It also may conduct business by electronic mail and telephone. Such miscellaneous expenses may be reimbursed.
Appointments and Chair
The President of each organization makes one appointment each year. The chair alternates every two years between the senior member of each organization.
Note to the Chair
Committee chairs should be informed, at the beginning of each fiscal period, of the budget of their committees and cautioned to remain within the budget. Such items as travel reimbursement, accommodations, and meals for guests of any kind fall within these budgets.
For the purpose of archiving the committee activities, the Secretary maintains a central file system for archiving committee records. Committee Chairs are asked to submit committee records on yearly basis. Chairs can submit material at their discretion, and some materials that they may wish to provide are meeting minutes, agenda, and emails. Confidential material should be noted, so that it can be handled in a confidential manner.
- Made a standing joint AMS-MAA committee by Jan 91 Council
- Created: 1/91; updated 1/8/2013 Coun, item 3.2; 10/13 edited Note to Chair, travel, and years Chair serves.
A list of current and past members is available here: