Mathematical Reviews Editorial Committee
- Committee is standing
- Number of members is eight, including the Executive Director and the Associate Treasurer who serve as ex officio, non-voting members.
- Term is four years
MREC is charged with giving scientific advice to the staff of Math Reviews (MR), to further its goal of providing the international mathematics research community with timely and complete coverage of the mathematics research literature. The advice should concern issues including:
- The scope of coverage.
- The amount and quality of reviewing and general editorial concerns about content of the databases.
- Evaluation of editorial policy, to be sure it provides adequate and useful information to the mathematical community.
- Priorities for proposed developments to the database.
The committee also serves as an oversight committee for the associate editors of Mathematical Reviews and, in conjunction with the administrative staff, reviews the editorial functions of the editors.
The chair will be elected by the Council, upon nomination by the Editorial Boards Committee. Other members are appointed by the President upon the recommendation of the EBC. The chair of this committee attends Council meetings. The committee meets once a year, typically in October, in Ann Arbor, for one day.
Traditionally, one member of the committee has been from the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan.
Travel reimbursement for this committee has been designated at LEVEL P. This is a “full travel support” committee. If traveling from a permanent domicile outside of North America, business class travel may be allowed with prior approval of the Executive Director and the Secretary.
From the charge to the Editorial Boards Committee:
The [Editorial Boards] Committee shall recommend appointees to certain editorial committees to the AMS President and the Council. To that end, it shall solicit suggestions for those editorial committees by consulting with managing editors, current editorial committees, and other interested parties. The committee should take into account both the interests of the publications and the overall interests of the Society.
Note to the Chair
For the purpose of archiving the committee activities, the Secretary maintains a central file system for archiving committee records. Committee Chairs are asked to submit committee records on yearly basis. Chairs can submit material at their discretion, and some materials that they may wish to provide are meeting minutes, agenda, and emails. Confidential material should be noted, so that it can be handled in a confidential manner.
- The Committee was established in 1939.
- 4/88 Council approved increasing the committee from three to four members (Item 4.1).
- 1/94 Council approved increasing the committee from four to six members and that at least two members total are from outside North America (Item 3.15.1).
- 1/13 Council approved expanding membership from six to eight members with the addition of the Executive Director and the Associate Treasurer as non-voting ex officio members.
- 1/16 Council approved a slight modification in the Miscellaneous information concerning a member from the University of Michigan.
- Updated: 4/88; 6/90; 10/90; 8/94; 5/95; 1996, 3/99; 1/03; 8/09; 1/12; 8/12; 1/13; 7/13 members, travel support, and Note to Chair; 7/22
- 09 January 2018 Council Item 4.7.3: Clarified appointment process.
A list of current and past members is available here: