Line arrangements in
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 133 (2005), 3115-3120
Primary 57M60, 51M09; Secondary 57M50
April 20, 2005
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: If is a hyperbolic manifold and is a simple closed geodesic, then lifts to a collection of lines in acted upon by . In this paper we show that such a collection of lines cannot contain a particular type of subset (called a bad triple) unless has orientation-reversing elements. This fact allows us to extend certain lower bounds on hyperbolic volume to the non-orientable case.
Agol, Volume change under drilling, Geom. Topol.
6 (2002), 905–916. MR 1943385
W. Gehring, and G.
J. Martin, Lattice constants and a lemma of Zagier,
Lipa’s legacy (New York, 1995) Contemp. Math., vol. 211, Amer.
Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 1997, pp. 107–120. MR 1476983
Cao and G.
Robert Meyerhoff, The orientable cusped hyperbolic 3-manifolds of
minimum volume, Invent. Math. 146 (2001), no. 3,
451–478. MR 1869847
C. Hodgson and S. Kerckhoff, Universal Bounds for Hyperbolic Dehn Surgery, Preprint.
H. Marshall and G.
J. Martin, Volumes of hyperbolic 3-manifolds.
Notes on a paper of D. Gabai, G. Meyerhoff, and P. Milley, “Volumes
of tubes in hyperbolic 3-manifolds” [J. Differential Geom. 57 (2001),
no. 1, 23–46; MR1871490 (2002i:57017)], Conform. Geom. Dyn. 7 (2003), 34–48
1992036 (2004e:57022), http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S1088-4173-03-00081-X
Robert Meyerhoff, and Peter
Milley, Volumes of tubes in hyperbolic 3-manifolds, J.
Differential Geom. 57 (2001), no. 1, 23–46. MR 1871490
Fenchel, Elementary geometry in hyperbolic space, de Gruyter
Studies in Mathematics, vol. 11, Walter de Gruyter & Co., Berlin,
1989. With an editorial by Heinz Bauer. MR 1004006
A. Przeworski, Cones in Hyperbolic 3-manifolds, Preprint.
J. Weeks, SnapPea, http://www.northnet.org/weeks/.
- I. Agol, Volume Change Under Drilling, Geom. Topol. 6 (2002) 905-916 (electronic). MR 1943385 (2004e:57021)
- C. Cao, F.W. Gehring, G.J. Martin, Lattice Constants and a Lemma of Zagier, Lipa's Legacy, Contemp. Math. 211 107-120 Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R.I., 1997.MR 1476983 (99a:30040)
- C. Cao and R. Meyerhoff, The orientable cusped hyperbolic 3-manifolds of minimum volume, Invent. Math. 146 (2001) 451-478.MR 1869847 (2002i:57016)
- C. Hodgson and S. Kerckhoff, Universal Bounds for Hyperbolic Dehn Surgery, Preprint.
- T. Marshall and G. Martin, Volumes of Hyperbolic 3-Manifolds, Conform. Geom. Dyn. 7 (2003) 34-48 (electronic). MR 1992036 (2004e:57022)
- D. Gabai, R. Meyerhoff, and P. Milley, Volumes of Tubes in Hyperbolic 3-Manifolds, J. Diff. Geometry 57 (2001) 23-46.MR 1871490 (2002i:57017)
- W. Fenchel, Elementary Geometry in Hyperbolic Space, de Gruyter Stud. in Math. Vol. 11, 1989. MR 1004006 (91a:51009)
- A. Przeworski, Cones in Hyperbolic 3-manifolds, Preprint.
- J. Weeks, SnapPea, http://www.northnet.org/weeks/.
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
with MSC (2000):
Retrieve articles in all journals
with MSC (2000):
Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544-1000
Address at time of publication:
Department of Mathematics, University of California–Riverside, Riverside, California 92521-0135
Received by editor(s):
April 15, 2004
Received by editor(s) in revised form:
June 3, 2004
April 20, 2005
The author was supported in part by NSF Grants DMS-9505253 and DMS-0071852.
The author would like to thank David Gabai for his comments and support, and the reviewer for his comments and corrections.
Dedicated to my wife, Cheryl
Ronald A. Fintushel
© Copyright 2005 American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.