Spaces of set-valued functions
Author: David N. O’Steen
Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 169 (1972), 307-315
MSC: Primary 54C60
MathSciNet review: 0336699
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: If and are topological spaces, the set of all continuous functions from into , the space of nonempty, compact subsets of with the finite topology, contains a copy (with singleton sets substituted for points) of , the continuous point-valued functions from into . It is shown that is homeomorphic to this copy contained in (where all function spaces are assumed to have the compact-open topology) and that, if or is is homoemorphic to a subspace of . Further, if is , then these images of and are closed in and respectively.
Finally, it is shown that, under certain conditions, some elements of may be considered as elements of and that the induced - function between the subspaces is open.
-  C. Berge, Topological spaces, Macmillan, New York, 1963, pp. 109-115.
-  Jane M. Day and Stanley P. Franklin, Spaces of continuous relations, Math. Ann. 169 (1967), 289–293. MR 0210092, https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01362352
-  James Dugundji, Topology, Allyn and Bacon, Inc., Boston, Mass., 1966. MR 0193606
-  K. Kuratowski, Topology. Vol. I, New edition, revised and augmented. Translated from the French by J. Jaworowski, Academic Press, New York-London; Państwowe Wydawnictwo Naukowe, Warsaw, 1966. MR 0217751
-  Ernest Michael, Topologies on spaces of subsets, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 71 (1951), 152–182. MR 0042109, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1951-0042109-4
-  Phillip Zenor, On the completeness of the space of compact subsets, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 26 (1970), 190–192. MR 0261538, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-1970-0261538-4
- C. Berge, Topological spaces, Macmillan, New York, 1963, pp. 109-115.
- J. M. Day and S. P. Franklin, Spaces of continuous relations, Math. Ann. 169 (1967), 289-293. MR 35 #987. MR 0210092 (35:987)
- J. Dugundji, Topology, Allyn and Bacon, Boston, Mass., 1966, pp. 257-275. MR 33 #1824. MR 0193606 (33:1824)
- K. Kuratowski, Topology, Vol. I, new ed., rev. and aug., PWN, Warsaw; Academic Press, New York, 1966, PP. 160-187. MR 36 #840. MR 0217751 (36:840)
- E. Michael, Topologies on spaces of subsets, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 71 (1951), pp. 152-183. MR 13, 54. MR 0042109 (13:54f)
- P. Zenor, On the completeness of the space of compact subsets, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 26 (1970), 190-192. MR 41 #6151. MR 0261538 (41:6151)
Retrieve articles in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society with MSC: 54C60
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 54C60
Keywords: Function spaces, finite topology, compact-open topology
Article copyright: © Copyright 1972 American Mathematical Society