Symplectic Topology and Measure Preserving Dynamical Systems
About this Title
Albert Fathi, Yong-Geun Oh and Claude Viterbo, Editors
The papers in this volume were presented at the AMS-IMS-SIAM Joint Summer Research Conference on Symplectic Topology and Measure Preserving Dynamical Systems held in Snowbird, Utah in July 2007.
The aim of the conference was to bring together specialists of symplectic topology and of measure preserving dynamics to try to connect these two subjects. One of the motivating conjectures at the interface of these two fields is the question of whether the group of area preserving homeomorphisms of the 2-disc is or is not simple. For diffeomorphisms it was known that the kernel of the Calabi invariant is a normal proper subgroup, so the group of area preserving diffeomorphisms is not simple. Most articles are related to understanding these and related questions in the framework of modern symplectic topology.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in symplectic topology and dynamical systems.
Table of Contents
- Augustin Banyaga – A Hofer-like metric on the group of symplectic diffeomorphisms [MR 2605311]
- Michael Entov and Leonid Polterovich – $C^0$-rigidity of Poisson brackets [MR 2605312]
- Frédéric Le Roux – Six questions, a proposition and two pictures on Hofer distance for Hamiltonian diffeomorphisms on surfaces [MR 2605313]
- John N. Mather – Order structure on action minimizing orbits [MR 2605314]
- Dusa McDuff – Loops in the Hamiltonian group: a survey [MR 2605315]
- Yong-Geun Oh – The group of Hamiltonian homeomorphisms and continuous Hamiltonian flows [MR 2605316]