Topology and Geometry in Dimension Three: Triangulations, Invariants, and Geometric Structures
About this Title
Weiping Li, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, Loretta Bartolini, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, Jesse Johnson, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, Feng Luo, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, Robert Myers, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK and J. Hyam Rubinstein, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia, Editors
Publication: Contemporary Mathematics
Publication Year 2011: Volume 560
ISBNs: 978-0-8218-5295-8 (print); 978-0-8218-8239-9 (online)
This volume contains the proceedings of a conference held from June 4–6, 2010, at Oklahoma State University, in honor of William (Bus) Jaco's 70th birthday. His contributions to research in low dimensional geometry and topology and to the American mathematical community, especially through his work for the American Mathematical Society, were recognized during the conference.
The focus of the conference was on triangulations and geometric structures for three-dimensional manifolds. The papers in this volume present significant new results on these topics, as well as in geometric group theory.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in geometry and topology of 3-manifolds and geometric group theory.
Table of Contents
- Ian Agol – Ideal triangulations of pseudo-Anosov mapping tori
- Feng Luo – A note on complete hyperbolic structures on ideal triangulated 3-manifolds
- Tsuyoshi Kobayashi and Yoav Rieck – A linear bound on the tetrahedral number of manifolds of bounded volume (after Jørgensen and Thurston)
- Jesse Johnson – Layered models for closed 3-manifolds
- Zhenyi Liu – Triangulations and nonorientable incompressible surfaces
- Bell Foozwell and Hyam Rubinstein – Introduction to the theory of Haken $n$-manifolds
- Henry Segerman and Stephan Tillmann – Pseudo-developing maps for ideal triangulations I: Essential edges and generalised hyperbolic gluing equations
- Peter B. Shalen – A generic Margulis number for hyperbolic 3-manifolds
- J. Elisenda Grigsby and Stephan M. Wehrli – On gradings in Khovanov homology and sutured Floer homology
- Robert Myers – Hyperbolic knots in irreducible Heegaard surfaces
- Danny Calegari and Dongping Zhuang – Stable W-length
- Noel Brady, Matt Clay and Max Forester – Turn graphs and extremal surfaces in free groups
- Francis Bonahon and Helen Wong – Kauffman brackets, character varieties and triangulations of surfaces
- J. Hyam Rubinstein – Problems at the Jacofest