Group Theory, Combinatorics, and Computing
About this Title
Robert Fitzgerald Morse, University of Evansville, Evansville, IN, Daniela Nikolova-Popova, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL and Sarah Witherspoon, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX, Editors
Publication: Contemporary Mathematics
Publication Year 2014: Volume 611
ISBNs: 978-0-8218-9435-4 (print); 978-1-4704-1524-2 (online)
This volume contains the proceedings of the International Conference on Group Theory, Combinatorics and Computing held from October 3–8, 2012, in Boca Raton, Florida.
The papers cover a number of areas in group theory and combinatorics. Topics include finite simple groups, groups acting on structured sets, varieties of algebras, classification of groups generated by 3-state automata over a 2-letter alphabet, new methods for construction of codes and designs, groups with constraints on the derived subgroups of its subgroups, graphs related to conjugacy classes in groups, and lexicographical configurations. Application of computer algebra programs is incorporated in several of the papers.
This volume includes expository articles on finite coverings of loops, semigroups and groups, and on the application of algebraic structures in the theory of communications.
This volume is a valuable resource for researchers and graduate students working in group theory and combinatorics. The articles provide excellent examples of the interplay between the two areas.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in group theory, combinatorics, and computation.
Table of Contents
- Mariagrazia Bianchi, Marcel Herzog and Emanuele Pacifici – On the regularity of a graph related to conjugacy classes of groups: Small valencies
- Rostislav Grigorchuk and Dmytro Savchuk – Self-similar groups acting essentially freely on the boundary of the binary rooted tree
- Christoph Hering, Andreas Krebs and Thomas Edgar – Non-symmetric lexicographic configurations
- Ted Hurley – Algebraic structures for communications
- Luise-Charlotte Kappe – Finite coverings: A journey through groups, loops, rings and semigroups
- Reinhard Laue – Decompositions of Kramer-Mesner matrices
- Patrizia Longobardi, Mercede Maj and Derek J. S. Robinson – Recent results on groups with few isomorphism classes of derived subgroups
- J. Moori – Designs and codes from
- Boris Plotkin – Algebraic logic and logical geometry in arbitrary varieties of algebras
- Pablo Spiga and Alexandre Zalesski – A uniform upper bound for the character degree sums and Gelfand-Graev-like characters for finite simple groups