Operator Algebras and Their Applications: A Tribute to Richard V. Kadison
About this Title
Robert S. Doran, Texas Christian University, Ft. Worth, TX and Efton Park, Texas Christian University, Ft. Worth, TX, Editors
Publication: Contemporary Mathematics
Publication Year: 2016; Volume 671
ISBNs: 978-1-4704-1948-6 (print); 978-1-4704-3500-4 (online)
This volume contains the proceedings of the AMS Special Session Operator Algebras and Their Applications: A Tribute to Richard V. Kadison, held from January 10–11, 2015, in San Antonio, Texas.
Richard V. Kadison has been a towering figure in the study of operator algebras for more than 65 years. His research and leadership in the field have been fundamental in the development of the subject, and his influence continues to be felt though his work and the work of his many students, collaborators, and mentees.
Among the topics addressed in this volume are the Kadison-Kaplanksy conjecture, classification of $C^*$-algebras, connections between operator spaces and parabolic induction, spectral flow, $C^*$-algebra actions, von Neumann algebras, and applications to mathematical physics.
Graduate students and research mathematicians interested in Banach algebras and operator algebras.
Table of Contents
- Paul Baum, Erik Guentner and Rufus Willett – Exactness and the Kadison-Kaplansky conjecture
- David P. Blecher – Generalization of $C^*$-algebra methods via real positivity for operator and Banach algebras
- Erik Christensen – Higher weak derivatives and reflexive algebras of operators
- Tyrone Crisp and Nigel Higson – Parabolic induction, categories of representations and operator spaces
- Ronald G. Douglas and Jerome Kaminker – Spectral multiplicity and odd K-theory-II
- George A. Elliott and Zhuang Niu – On the classification of simple amenable C*-algebras with finite decomposition rank
- Liming Ge – Topology of natural numbers and entropy of arithmetic functions
- S. Kaliszewski, Magnus B. Landstad and John Quigg – Properness conditions for actions and coactions
- Zhe Liu – Reflexivity of Murray-von Neumann algebras
- Florin Pop and Roger R. Smith – Hochschild cohomology for tensor products of factors
- Sorin Popa and Stefaan Vaes – On the optimal paving over MASAs in von Neumann algebras
- Marc A. Rieffel – Matricial bridges for “Matrix algebras converge to the sphere”
- Jonathan Rosenberg – Structure and applications of real $C^*$-algebras
- Erling Størmer – Separable states, maximally entangled states, and positive maps