Workshop for Department Chairs and Leaders
The American Mathematical Society (AMS) hosts an annual workshop for department chairs. This one-day session for mathematical sciences department chairs and leaders is organized in a workshop format to facilitate the sharing of ideas and experiences between peers and to create an environment in which attendees can address departmental challenges from new perspectives.
Past workshop sessions have focused on a range of departmental issues including:
- Personnel Issues
- Long Range Planning
- Faculty and Staff Hiring/Evaluation
- Promotion and Tenure
- Budget Management/Fundraising
- Junior Faculty Development
- Communication Within and Outside the Department
- Department Leadership
The most recent AMS Department Chairs Workshop was held on January 14, 2020 in Denver, CO. The workshop included discussion of the following topics:
- "Modernizing Mathematics and Mathematicians" Presented by Kevin Knudson,University of Florida and Jennifer Zhao, University of Michigan-Dearborn.
- "Evaluating Teaching" Presented by Luca Capogna, WPI and Jennifer Zhao, University of Michigan-Dearborn.
- "Difficult Conversations" Presented by Gloria Marí-Beffa, University of Wisconsin and Luca Capogna, WPI.
- "The Entrepreneurial Mathematics Department" Presented by Gloria Marí-Beffa, University of Wisconsin and Luca Capogna, WPI.
- AMS Department Chairs Workshop Agenda, January 14,2020
For more information Email the AMS Washington Office