The American Mathematical Society (AMS) offers access to a family of TeX-related products for the convenience of authors and MathSciNet searchers.
- The TeX program is not available from the AMS. It can be obtained
- Our list of other TeX resources may also be helpful.
- CTAN (the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network) is the principal public archive of TeX materials.
American Mathematical Society TeX Products
For the convenience of authors, the AMS supports a family of TeX-related style file collections, fonts, manuals, and author packages for preparing submissions to AMS publications.
- Three collections provide basic support for preparation of mathematical publications. Each collection includes a user's guide.
They are also part of the basic TeX Live distribution; if you already have a recent TeX Live (or similar system-specific) installation, it is not necessary to obtain these collections separately.
- Some additional LaTeX utilities are not part of the above collections:
- Author packages based on AMS-LaTeX and AMS-TeX and tailored to specific AMS books or journals are available for most AMS publications.
- For Journal of the American Mathematical Society, Mathematics of Computation, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, and Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, you can also use customized templates from .
Frequently Asked Questions for AMS Authors
Tools for Reference Checking and Linking
- Authors can access the MR Database to verify and create references that can link to MathSciNet items and original sources.
- MRef is the free AMS tool for creating standard references with links to MathSciNet.
- Input is unfielded, meaning that no special input format is required, beyond entering the author name(s) first.
- Punctuation and formatting (e.g., TeX and HTML) is ignored.
- MRef returns formatted bibliographic data together with active links to MathSciNet.
- The formats include MathSciNet, BibTeX, and AMSRefs.
- MR Lookup is another free tool for referencing and linking available from the AMS. Data can be retrieved in BibTeX format.
Support for American Mathematical Society TeX Products
- Support for these products is available from
Publications Technical Group
American Mathematical Society
201 Charles Street
Providence, RI 02904-2213
- The AMS on-line bookstore contains a selection of TeX-related titles and other works relevant to writing mathematics.